The 1996 presidential and congressional election is now history. In
the press, the experts are analyzing the results. You can be an expert
too. The students of Mr. Cassutto's government class have developed editorials
and activities that deal with the results of the election. Where possible,
we have left the resources of the pre-election page as they were while
adding new links and activities. Feel free to review the following questions
on this year's election. You may want to visit the links provided to gain
helpful information to develop an intelligent response. When you have something
for us to consume, send it to us by e-mail.
We will use your comments in our government and history classes, and if
your comments are especially astute, we may even write you back! Thanks
Table Of Contents:
Discussion Questions on the Results
of the 1996 Election
- Which issue do you feel was the defining idea behind
the election of 1996?
- Why was Bill Clinton so "electable" in spite
of the allegations he faces in the Whitewater scandal, "file-gate"
(the obtaining of FBI files of prominent Republicans), the Travel Office
Scandal (where Bush Travel Office staffers were fired with little or no
notice) and the sexual harrassment lawsuit that he still faces?
- Do you feel negative campaigning is effective or is it
self-defeating for candidates who use it?
- Do you think the public opinion poll numbers had any
affect on how the voters saw and voted for the three main candidates?
- Do you think Dole's choice of Jack Kemp helped or hurt
his chances of defeating Clinton in November? Why or why not? Who could
Dole have chosen to improve his chances of victory?
- What will be the effect of the Ross Perot's Reform Party
on the 1996 election? Will Ross perot and the Reform Party have an effect
on American politics in the near future?
- Which of the candidate had views that you agreed with
the most? The least?
- Do you consider yourself "conservative," "liberal,"
or "radical?" What aspects of your views leads you to define
yourself this way?
- How do you think the strengthened Republican Congress
will work along side the current Democratic president?
- Is there a way to avoid gridlock that results from "divided
- What do you hope the President will strive for in the
- Do you think there will be continued investigations of
Bill Clinton's actions because the Republican party has a majority in the
House and the Senate?
- Is Clinton truly Democratic (as in the party)? Why or
why not? Give us examples.
- in your opinion, what should Congress do to balance the
- What will the President need to do to avoid a rough/messy
final four years?
- What went wrong with Dole's campaign? Explain.
- Mandate: the people are telling the government what to
do. Why didn't Clinton get a mandate as shown by 50% of the voters? What
could he have done to get a mandate?
- MARYLAND VIEWERS: Do you think it was a good idea for
kids to vote along with their parents in the Kids Voting Program? Can you
tell us why?
- Kids all over the nation chose Bob Dole as their choice
for president in mock elections. Why would young people choose Bob Dole
- Why are the results of the electoral vote and the popular
vote so different? Should they forget or take out the electoral vote?
- Why did traditionally Republician States vote for Democratic
when they normally vote for Republican candidates?
- Do you think Clinton will propose a moderate agenda for
his second term in office?
- Why didn't Clinton lift the ban on travel and immigration
to the United States for people infected with HIV? Do you agree with this
- What is your opinion about the election results in your
local area? Please share with us the
results of the Congressional and local races as well as your opinion on
- How many hairstyles do you think Hillary Clinton will
have in the next term :-)?
- How would a Bob Dole administration differ from the goals
of a Clinton administration?
Now that you are really in the mood, please take part in our public
opinion poll on Courage
In Politics and History. You can always come back to this page when
you are done!
Vocabulary Terms Related To US Elections and Political Parties
Clicking on the term will take you to a definition.
- Executive privilege
WWW Links on The 1996 US Presidential
LINKS TO WEB SITES OF THE PRESIDENTIAL
about President Clinton at The White House WWW Site (Now the Bush White
The Clinton Campaign Page (Parody)
Democratic National Committee
Democratic Activists Home
CQ Profile of Bob Dole
The Dole Campaign Page
The Dole-Kemp Campaign Page.
This site has been hacked by Clinton supporters, and as of this writing
(10/7/96), it is not accessible because it will only lead you to
the Clinton-Gore campaign page.
The Official Ross Perot Web Site
Please take a look at the following pages:
The Essays On Democracy and Student Team Pages
News Discussion Page
To the Election '98 Page
George Cassutto's Cyberlearning
[Lesson Plan of the
the Author] [Search]